The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is available to citizens of a specified list of countries. These countries are designated for inclusion in the VWP based upon having low rates of immigration violations as well as meeting other security-related protections.
Citizens of the designated countries are permitted to travel to the United States for up to 90-days to engage in activities that would be appropriate within the categories of visitor for business or visitor for pleasure (B-1/B-2). The list of designated countries is available on the U.S. Department of State (DOS) WebSite.
The VWP facilitates routine travel for business or pleasure by eliminating the need to apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate prior to entry. However, it contains strict prohibitions on obtaining extensions or changes of status within the United States.
- Must hold and travel on the passport of a designated country
- Advance travel authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) [Those unable to obtain approval through ESTA cannot use the VWP.]
- Machine readable passport [Some must meet e-Passport requirements.]
- Purely temporary travel, lasting no more than 90-days
- Visit consistent with the B-1 or B-2 visitor category
How We Can Help You
- The Murthy Law Firm provides assistance and advice regarding U.S. travel options, including the VWP.
- We can review and asses the benefits and drawbacks of VWP travel for eligible foreign nationals.