J-1 Exchange

The J-1 nonimmigrant visa classification is for exchange visitors who come to the United States to participate in an exchange visitor program administered by the U.S. Department of State. There are different programs within the J-1 category, including trainees, college or university students, secondary school students, professors and research scholars, short-term scholars, specialists, foreign medical graduates, international and government visitors, teachers, camp counselors, au pairs, and summer work / travel students.


Because J-1 visa classification incorporates a number of different categories of visitors, the specific requirements may differ. However the requirements common to all programs are as follows:

  • Ability to demonstrate that one has a residence in a foreign country that s/he has no intention of abandoning
  • A Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (Form DS-2019) obtained from the program sponsor

How We Can Help You

  • The Murthy Law Firm provides assistance and advice with regard to J-1/J-2 visa applications to increase one’s chance of obtaining a visa at consular post abroad, especially in case of previous denials and prior immigration status violations in the United States.
  • Murthy Law Firm attorneys offer advice on J-1 status maintenance and employment matters and assist with change of status applications. We also offer advice regarding the two-year home residency requirement (HRR) and waiver.

For More on J-1 Exchange Visas & Status, See Worker Page

For J-1 exchange visa or status news, information, complexities, and options, as well as Murthy Law Firm success stories in such cases, see the Worker page. You may also search the site for a particular topic, and narrow your search by category.