Visitor for Business
The B-1 classification is appropriate for those seeking entry to the United States to engage in temporary, business-related activities. Permissible business activities include conventions, conferences, consultations, and other legitimate commercial and professional activities. This category does not allow individuals to engage in local employment for hire within the United States.
Typical acceptable activities in the B-1 category include:
negotiating contracts, meeting with business associates, participating in scientific, educational, professional, or business conferences or conventions and litigating
Foreign medical students may also be granted the B-1 visa and status for unpaid observerships. It is appropriate on a limited basis for missionaries as well as certain ministers exchanging pulpits. This category is available, subject to very specific requirements, to personal and/or domestic attendants of certain nonimmigrants and U.S. citizens who hold international jobs. These attendants must obtain separate work authorization documents.
In addition to the requirements common to all applying for the visitor visa to the United States, B-1 visa applicants must:
- Show that business activities primarily benefit a non-U.S. based company
How We Can Help You
- The Murthy Law Firm provides assistance and advice regarding B-1 options, including the parameters of permissible activities and options for extensions or changes of status.
- Our attorneys provide guidance and representation in connection with requests for B-1 personal and/or domestic attendants.
- We provide B-1 visa application assistance and advice to individuals who are abroad.
- Our affiliate, Murthy Immigration Services, Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, provides representation and guidance in visa matters, including routine and more complex B-1 visa applications.
For More on B-1 Visas & Status, See Visitor Page
For B-1 visa or status news, information, complexities, and options, as well as Murthy Law Firm success stories in such cases, see the Visitor page. You may also search the site for a particular topic, and narrow your search by category.