M-1 Visa & Status

The M-1 visa classification is reserved for the student who intends to pursue a vocational, non-academic program (other than a language training program) in an established institution in the United States. Examples of vocational study are training programs for health care technicians, machinists, dental hygienists, and other, similar pursuits.


  • Ability to demonstrate bona fide student status with nonimmigrant intent and strong ties to the home country
  • Acceptance for study at an established vocational or other recognized, nonacademic institution
  • Proficiency in the English language and evidence of sufficient funding to attend the educational institution one will attend while living in the United States throughout the duration of the program.

How We Can Help You

  • Murthy Law Firm attorneys provide assistance in devising a strategy and course of action to increase one’s chance of obtaining the M-1/M-2 visa at the consular post abroad, especially after a previous visa denial.
  • Murthy Law Firm attorneys provide advice and assistance with request for changing between M-1 and M-2 statuses.

For More on M-1 Visas & Status, See Student Page

For M-1 visa or status news, information, complexities, and options, as well as Murthy Law Firm success stories in such cases, see the Student page. You may also search the site for a particular topic, and narrow your search by category.