U.S. Citizenship is obtained either by birth, derivation or naturalization. U.S. citizens may live and work in the U.S. permanently, and can not lose this status by extended travel abroad. U.S. citizens have many benefits and privileges, including the privilege of voting in U.S. elections. U.S. citizens may petition for the permanent resident status of their parents, spouses, children and siblings.


  • Generally, 5 years in permanent resident status [Three years may be sufficient for those married to U.S. citizens.]
  • Generally, physical presence, continuity of residence, and good moral character standards
  • Satisfactory exam results in U.S. government, history, and civics as well as the ability to speak, read, and write English [Some exceptions to the testing requirements exist based upon age and duration of permanent residency, as well as medical limitations. See examples of government, history, civics questions and answers.]

How We Can Help You

  • The Murthy Law Firm provides assistance in determining an individual’s eligibility for U.S. citizenship through naturalization.
  • We guide those planning future naturalization with issues impacting eligibility, such as extended travel.
  • We represent individuals in connection with applications for naturalization.
  • Naturalization by birth or derivation can present complex situations. In such cases, we assess the merits and proof of the claim. When appropriate, we represent individuals seeking certificates of citizenship.