If a J-1 visitor is subject to the two-year home residency requirement, s/he would not be able to change status within the United States. However, an individual in this situation could apply for and be eligible to obtain an F-1 visa “stamp” at a consulate and, then, enter the U.S. in F-1 status. The home return requirement is still applicable and would have to be dealt with at some point. (29.Jun.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved