Other Allied Health Care Professionals (AHCP)

The law recognizes seven allied health care professions (AHCPs). Among these is nursing, which requires a specific type of certification to practice in the United States. The remaining six AHCPs regulated in this manner include: physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists & audiologists, medical technologists (also known as clinical laboratory scientists), medical technicians (also known as clinical laboratory technicians), and physician assistants.


Although the educational and licensing requirements for each occupation differ, requirements for working in the United States that are common to all foreign nationals in AHCP categories are:

  • a Visa Screen Certificate issued by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) or the appropriate accrediting agency verifying: (a) applicant’s education, experience, training and license are comparable to those of the U.S. health care worker, (b) applicant’s education, work and license are authentic and meet the applicable statutory and regulatory requirements, (c) applicant has passed the licensing exams or occupation examination depending on the specific state requirements in the area of intended employment
  • satisfactory meeting of English language testing requirements or qualification as an exception to those requirements based on degree completion in specified English-speaking countries

How We Can Help You

  • At the Murthy Law Firm, we represent allied health care professionals through the process of obtaining nonimmigrant and immigrant employment-based work visas.
  • Our attorneys consult with these professionals, health care providers, contracting agencies, and others to discuss case strategies, help determine the most appropriate options.
  • We provide guidance on the immigration requirements for AHCPs, and representation in connection with the applications and petitions required to request the most suitable immigration status for the AHCPs.