I have been a GC holder for 2 years and would like to visit India for 5-1/2 months. Do I still need a reentry permit? Would appreciate any information you can give to retain the GC while living overseas.


A reentry permit is needed if a GC holder is out of the U.S. for a year or more. The GC is the proper document for reentry if the trip is less than a year. However, if there is any chance that the trip could be extended, there is no harm in obtaining the reentry permit just in case. It is necessary to be in the U.S. to request the reentry permit, so it is important to consider what might happen and not just what has been planned. We have a helpful article on www.Murthy.com on extended travel abroad by permanent residents. (02.Dec.2013)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Copyright © 2013, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.