I am the F-2 spouse of a student in F-1 status. I understand that I am not eligible for employment authorization, but I would like to get involved in some business activity. …

… I have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. Can I volunteer at the chemistry lab at the school where my husband is a student? Would that be considered unauthorized employment?


The law regarding what constitutes unauthorized employment is not very clear. Generally, if the position would normally be associated with an expectation of compensation, reward or future benefit in return for services, it would most likely be considered employment. In addition, if someone receives any type of benefit, not just wages or fringe benefits, his or her services would also be employment, not volunteering. (12.Sep.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.