FY2008 Diversity Lottery Registration Closed26 Dec 2006
The Fiscal Year (FY) 2008 Diversity Lottery registration period closed on December 3, 2006. The U.S. Department of State (DOS) reports that over 6.4 million individuals applied for the lottery, which gives 50,000 individuals the opportunity to obtain a green card through the program each year. This is an increase from the 5.5 million applications received the previous year.
Winners will be notified via U.S. mail from the DOS’s Kentucky Consular Center between April and July 2007. Each year, there are some attempts by individuals or groups of individuals to trick immigrants into believing that they have won the green card lottery. If a letter is received, it is important to use the following as a guide to determine whether it is legitimate or fraudulent.
- Did the individual register for this year’s green card lottery?
- Is the letter being received between April and July 2007?
- Was the communication delivered via U.S. mail?
- Do the letter and the envelope appear to be from the DOS Kentucky Consular Center?
- Does the letter only ask that fees be paid to the DOS and/or the USCIS?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no,” it is likely that the contact is fraudulent. If it is not clear whether the contact is legitimate or fraudulent, it is best to consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney. If fraud is discovered, it is recommended one contact the DOS to alert them of the scam to protect yourself and others from needlessly wasting money, effort, and energy on false promises of a green card.