I am currently in F-1 status with a pending application to change status to H-4 (form I-539). I have recently moved to a new address. Do I have an obligation to update my address? And, if yes, whom should I notify?


Generally, any non-U.S. citizen must notify USCIS by filing the AR-11 form within 10 days of the move. However, as a student in F-1 status, you only need to provide your new address to your DSO within 10 days of the move by following a specific procedure established by your school. Your DSO will have 21 days to provide this information to USCIS which will satisfy the AR-11 filing requirement.

Separately, because you have a pending I-539, you should change your address with regard to your application by following the change-of-address instructions on the USCIS WebSite. (06.Dec.2013)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Copyright © 2013, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.