I was on H1B, converted my status to F-1 and I would like to go back to H-1 now. Can I start working immediately upon getting the receipt number from the USCIS, or do I have to wait till I get the approval?


It would be necessary to wait for the H1B petition approval before starting employment again. The H1B in this situation normally would not be cap subject, so it could be filed at any time and could request an immediate start date. Unlike when changing jobs within H1B status, however, moving from one H1B petition to another, the work must await the approval. Of course, premium processing could be used to expedite the H1B decision. (09.Dec.2013)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Copyright © 2013, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.