Is it easy to convert H-1 to J-1 or J-1 to H-1 for doing medical residency?


A person in H-1 status could convert to J-1 for a medical residency. The issue with the change to J-1 is that it does not have premium processing as an option. So, timing is an issue. If the program starts before the J-1 can be approved as a COS, it is often necessary to apply for the J-1 visa from abroad and, if approved, return in J-1 status. On the other hand, if a person has J-1 for a medical residency, they are subject to the two year home return requirement. They cannot change to H-1 either in the U.S. or by consular processing unless and until the person complies with the HRR or obtains a waiver of that requirement. (16.Dec.2013)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Copyright © 2013, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.