I initially entered the U.S. in F-1 status to enroll in the undergraduate program of study in psychology. …

… My I-20 form was valid for four years, which is the standard length of my academic program. In my second year of study, I decided to change my major to social work. My academic adviser told me that I would need to take several additional classes in order to complete my new degree requirements, which would extend the overall program of study by one semester. What should I do to stay in valid F-1 status after the expiration of my I-20?


You should report the change in your program to your DSO. The DSO is authorized to extend your program of study in SEVIS for “compelling academic or medical reasons.” A change in major is considered to be such a compelling academic reason based upon which the DSO should be able to issue you a new I-20 form indicating your new major and expiration date. (21.Dec.2013)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Copyright © 2013, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.