I have an approved I-140 as teacher. Can I shift jobs to an engineer (my true profession), using the same I-140 or do I need to go thru the PERM process again?


The I-140 petition is specific to the job offer, as described on the underlying labor certification. The case, at this stage, is job specific and employer specific. In order to proceed with a green card case for an engineer position, it would be necessary to start an entirely new PERM case for that occupation. However,  it should be possible to retain the priority date from the approved I-140 for a teacher position when the I-140 is filed for the engineer position,  even though the two cases are for different occupations. (06.Jan.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.