I am in my 6th year of H1B status. I have an approved I-140 from my previous employer, but I haven’t yet been able to file an I-485. My current employer hasn’t yet filed a green card case for me. Can I get an H1B extension based on my approved I-140 filed by my previous employer?


If the previous employer’s I-140 is approved and the visa number is not available (priority date is not current,) then it is possible to get a 3-year H1B extension beyond the six-year limit with ANY employer. So, yes, as long as the I-140 has not been revoked and the priority date isn’t current, it generally is possible to get more H1B time with any employer. (20.Jan.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here. Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.