I have an F-1 visa from University A, but I transferred to University B. Can I travel outside the United States on OPT, and use the visa from my old university to reenter the U.S.?


If you have a properly issued I-20 for University B with the OPT notation, and you have been working on your OPT pursuant to the terms of your F-1 status, you should be able to use the still-valid F-1 visa stamp that references University A until it expires. If the I-20 is not the same one issued at the time of transfer, it would be wise to also carry the previous I-20 notice that references the change of universities. (27.Jan.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here. Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.