I am on H1B and recently changed to a new employer. My spouse has an H-4 visa that was issued under my previous employer’s name. She plans on entering the United States later this month; does she first need to apply for a new H-4 visa?


If you are maintaining valid H1B status, your spouse should be able to use her existing H-4 visa, even though it references your old employer. Your spouse should carry a copy of your new H1B approval with her when she travels so that the CBP officer at the port of entry will give her an I-94 expiration to match your own. (03.Feb.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here. Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.