My wife is a green card holder, but she has been in India for more than two years due to a medical emergency. She did not apply for a reentry permit before she left the U.S. What is the procedure for bringing her back to the U.S.?


Depending upon the specific situation, a green card holder who has been outside of the U.S. for more than one year without first applying for a reentry permit, may be able to obtain an SB-1 Returning Resident visa. It would be wise to consult with an attorney to discuss the specific situation to see if her situation qualifies for a returning resident visa. Keep in mind that the consulates in India (as well as certain other countries) are applying this category very narrowly. (10.Feb.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here. Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.