If, as an H-4 holder, I apply for J-1 from within the USA, and it is rejected, will I end up losing my H-4 status, also? Is J-1 to F-1 transfer possible from U.S. itself, or do I have to apply from India?


If a person applies for a change of status in the U.S. and it is denied, s/he generally would still keep the existing nonimmigrant status. This presumes that the person continues to qualify for, and comply with, the terms of the status that s/he is trying to change – in this case – the H-4. As long as the denial is not due to a status violation, fraud, etc, the H-4 status would remain valid, even if the J-1 COS did not work. It is possible to change from J-1 to F-1 in the U.S., provided that the J-1 is not subject to the two-year, home return requirement (HRR). If the HRR applies, then it is necessary to process for the F-1 visa at the consulate. (24.Feb.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.