How can we change employers while in H-1 status, while maintaining the EAD/AP?


If a person is maintaining H-1 status, while also having an I-485/EAD/AP, s/he CAN change jobs on H-1. It is just like any other H1B filing through a new employer. The GC case can continue in parallel if the new job qualifies under AC21 as being in the same or similar job classification. People often misunderstand the AC21 green card job flexibility provisions and think that it is necessary to work on the EAD in order to take advantage of that option. That is not the case, if a green card case meets the AC21 requirements, the work can be performed either on an EAD or an H-1. (17.Mar.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.