What happens to H-4 if it is not applied along with H-1 at the time of transfer to a new company?


H-4s are NOT company-specific. H-4s are specific to the H-1 spouse / parent. Thus, if the H1B spouse / parent changes companies, it isn’t always necessary to also file the H-4 extension of status. If the H-4 is not expiring any time soon, or if there are plans to travel abroad prior to the expiration, the extension is not legally required. The H-4 extension just has to be filed prior to the expiration of the H-4 I-94. Often, the H-1 and H-4 are filed together, as it is easier to keep track of everything that way, as people sometimes make mistakes if they have to track multiple expiration dates. (07.Apr.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.