A new company has filed an H1B petition on my behalf, and I currently have unexpired H1B visa stamp from my previous employer. Do I need to get a new H1B visa stamp in order to enter the U.S.?


The H1B visa in the passport is not employer-specific. Even though it has the employer’s name on it, it can be used for any H1B travel during its validity. So, it is okay to travel with the unexpired visa from company A and the H1B petition with company B. Just check the I-94 duration given at entry – it should be to the validity of the H1B petition, not the (potentially shorter) visa expiration date. (21.Apr.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.