I have applied to extend my parents’ B-1/B-2 extension for another 6 months, and it is currently in processing. Can they continue to stay in U.S. legally until we hear back from the USCIS?


Individuals are generally considered to be legally in the U.S. based upon the filing of a timely request to change or extend status–but only for the lesser of the time permitted by or requested in the extension. However, tourist extensions can be risky. Most genuine visitor purposes can be accomplished in less than six months. If a request is filed and denied, the person is out of status and their visa will be voided. (21.Apr.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.