I’m on H1B. Can I join a new employer once the USCIS receives the H1B petition from the new employer, or do I have to wait for the receipt number from the USCIS to join them?


A person has authorization to work for the new employer based upon the filing of the case when going from H1B status to a new H1B position. However, in order for the new employer to complete the I-9 form for employment verification, the receipt notice is needed. Also, it is not always smart to start work just based on the new filing. It is often better to get an approval before quitting the current job, if possible. (05.May.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.