I initially entered the U.S. in F-1 status without my family who stayed in our home country during the first semester of my study. I would like my spouse and child to come to the U.S. to live with me until I graduate. What are the proper procedures for me and my family to follow so that they can join me in the U.S.?


You need to request that your DSO generate new I-20 forms for your spouse and child. The DSO will first update your SEVIS record with new financial information to include your spouse and child’s living expenses. Therefore, your financial obligation will be based on a higher amount of estimated expenses to account for your entire family. Your DSO may need to verify that you are able to meet your new obligation, based on additional documentary evidence. Once the new financial information is recorded in SEVIS, the DSO will issue I-20s for your spouse and child so that they can apply for F-2 visas at a U.S. consulate abroad. Then they will be able to travel to the U.S. to be admitted in F-2 status. (23.May.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.