I was initially admitted in F-1 status to attend a graduate program of study in fine arts. My I-20 expired before I finished my study, as I needed more time to complete my graduate thesis. …

… My I-20 form was issued for 20 months, the duration of my program. I was so busy working on my thesis that I forgot to request an extension of my I-20 from my DSO. Is it too late to apply for an extension now?


A student who did not request the DSO to extend their I-20 is out of valid F-1 status. Unfortunately, this type of violation cannot be corrected by the DSO directly in SEVIS. Therefore, you should either apply for reinstatement with USCIS or travel outside the U.S. and come back with a new I-20. (30.Jun.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.