I am on H1B extension beyond six years based on an approved I-140. I might get laid off next month. My wife is on F-1 (OPT). Can I change my status to F-2? Can I revert to H1B status once I find a new employer?


It is possible to request a change of status to F-2 from H1B. The request may or may not be granted because of immigrant intent, but it can be requested, and a person would be legally in the U.S. based upon such a filing. It would be possible to go back to H1B after finding a new employer – as long as the I-140 is still in place to qualify you for more time. (02.Jun.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.