My I-290B (Notice of Appeal or Motion) is pending. Can I stay in the U.S. until a decision is issued?


Normally, just filing an appeal or motion to reopen does NOT give status or permission to stay. If there is an I-290B, something has been denied. That “something” stays denied (with all the related consequences) unless the motion or appeal is successful. In a situation like this, it is very important to discuss the matter with an attorney. There can be lifelong consequences of just staying and waiting for motions and/or appeals. (02.Jun.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.