I initially entered the U.S. to pursue an undergraduate study in mathematics. After the first semester, however, I decided to change my major to computer science. Should I report this change to my DSO?


Yes, a change in the degree objective should be reported to the DSO within 21 days. The DSO will make all necessary updates in your SEVIS record to reflect the change in your major. The updates will also include your new financial obligation. The DSO will then issue you a new Form I-20 listing your new major which will replace your current I-20. (06.Jun.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.