When I get my GC, can I apply for permanent residency for my parents who are retired and living in India?


No. In order to sponsor a GC for one’s parents, it is necessary to be a U.S. citizen. So, that means another five-year wait for most people after becoming LPRs. (23.Jun.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.