I’ve graduated from Stratford University and currently I’m in OPT extension. I’m applying for H1B this year and I wanted your suggestion: should I apply through the master’s quota or regular quota?


If an individual has a master’s degree from an accredited, not-for-profit U.S. university, that information is included with the H1B petition, and the case can be filed against the advanced-degree (or “master’s”) cap. However, it is important to verify that the master’s degree is from an accredited not-for-profit U.S. university, or there is a high risk of rejection. Even if the case is approved under the master’s cap, subsequent H1B extensions would be at risk. At this time, Stratford University, while accredited, is a for-profit institution. Thus, graduates should not file against the master’s cap. (07.Jul.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.