I am in F-1 status pursuant to OPT. My employer filed an H1B petition on my behalf that was approved for the start date of October 1st. My wife is outside of the U.S. and will need to apply for a dependent H-4 visa to join me in the U.S. when my status changes to H1B. Can she apply for the H-4 visa now and join me on or after October 1st?


If you do not leave the U.S. before October 1st, your spouse will only be able to apply for the H-4 visa when your status changes from F-1 to H1B. If you decide to travel before October 1st, you will need an H1B visa to reenter the United States to begin H1B employment. In that case, your wife will be able to apply for her H-4 visa together with you prior to October 1st. (11.Jul.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.