Do I need labor certification before getting an H1B? Or, is the labor certification needed only to convert the H1B into a green card?


The H1B requires a labor condition application (LCA). This is not the same as a PERM labor certification (LC). The PERM LC is required for the green card. The H1B LCA takes about seven business days for the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) to process. The PERM LC for a green card takes months to prepare for filing, and, right now, well over six months for the DOL to process. (14.Jul.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.