I have been working pursuant to the cap gap extending my F-1 status and OPT employment authorization. However, my employer withdrew my H1B petition before USCIS issued a decision on it. …

… I would like to continue to maintain my F-1 status. Can I go back to school to do it?


Once your H1B petition is withdrawn, you have 10 additional days of employment authorization and 60 days of grace period. As long as you complete your transfer to a different program of study or school by the expiration of your grace period, you should be able to maintain valid F-1 status. (15.Aug.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.