I recently applied for adjustment of status and my H1B is going to expire at the end of this month. Do I need to apply for an extension of status?


People often choose to stay in the U.S. based on the AOS only. People with properly filed AOS cases are in a period of authorized stay and are allowed to be in the U.S., unless the AOS is denied. While keeping the H1B is safer, as it provides status in case of denial, it isn’t always possible to do so. In that case, it is important to have the EAD/AP and file to renew so that there won’t be a lapse. (15.Sep.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.