I am an F-1 graduate student currently authorized for part-time curricular practical training (CPT). …

… I am also taking two courses and would like to accept an on-campus part-time position as a research assistant for one of the classes I am taking. Am I allowed to take the on-campus job when I am also employed off-campus in CPT?


The regulations do not specifically address or prohibit multiple types of concurrent F-1 employment. Schools differ in their internal policies on whether engaging in CPT and on-campus employment of 20 hours or less is permissible. You are advised to check with your DSO to find out your school’s policy on this issue. (26.Sep.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.