I have been attending school in valid F-1 status. My program of study will end in three months and I received an offer of temporary employment, which will require a change of status to J-1. What do I need to apply for change of status?


In order to change nonimmigrant status in the U.S., you first need make sure that you comply with general change of status requirements as described in the USCIS’s Information Sheet. In addition, in order to request a change from one SEVIS status to another, such as F-1 to J-1, a new SEVIS record with a new ID number will need to be created in the SEVIS category being requested. (31.Oct.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.