I am currently in H1B status and my wife an H-4. I have been recently admitted to school, which issued an I-20 for me. I plan to apply for change of status to F-1, and my wife will apply for F-2. What do we need to apply?


As an F-2 dependent, your wife will need to be issued a separate I-20 in her own name. If you did not notify the school that you have a dependent, then you need to do it prior to filing so that they can issue an I-20 for your wife, too. Please note that having a dependent may change your financial obligation as indicated on your I-20 form, because it has to incorporate your dependent’/s’ expenses. Both you and your wife then will need to file separate I-539s for change of status to F-1 and F-2, respectively, with supporting documentation, including your individual I-20s.  (07.Nov.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.