I have worked in L-1 status for about 5 years, but my current employer is not keen on sponsoring me for a GC. Can I change to a different employer?


L-1s cannot just change employers, as they would not usually qualify for L-1 with a different sponsoring company. L-1s sometimes change to H1B, but would have to contend with the cap. Also, the time on L-1 is counted against the available H1B time. So, there are many hurdles if most of the 5 years in the U.S. has been in L-1 status. (24.Nov.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.