I have a pending I-485 and am on EAD (employment sponsored). Due to family reasons, I have to be in India for more than one year. What are my options to do this without losing my GC process?


There may be an option to keep the I-485 going by using the AP for reentry. This can get a bit complicated, due to the need to renew it from within the U.S. But, it may be manageable if there is some ability to return to the U.S. briefly during the time abroad. Otherwise, the case would have to be changed to consular processing. In all of this, there is an issue of keeping a qualified job offer underlying the case, as required. (22.Dec.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.