My change of status from F-1 to H1B is under process. If I go out of country now, will that affect my case?


If a foreign national travels while a petition to change status is pending, the change of status request is considered to have been abandoned. For an H1B case, the petition could be approved in this type of situation, but without the COS (reflected in an I-94 attached to the approval notice.) This would make it necessary to obtain an H1B visa at the consulate in order to reenter the U.S. in H1B status. (22.Dec.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.