I am currently in H-4 status. I was admitted to a graduate degree program that issued me an I-20 form for change of status. …

… I applied for change of status to F-1 and it is currently pending. However, my program start date is in 2 days. Can I start attending school and work on campus while my application is still pending?


As a nonimmigrant in valid H-4 status, you are not prohibited from attending school while your application for change of status is still being processed. School attendance in this situation is prohibited only for foreign nationals changing to F-1 from B-1/B-2 and F-2 status. However, you cannot accept any employment which would normally be available to F-1 students until your application is approved. (26.Dec.2014)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.