I am in India and my H1B petition was denied. Can I come to the U.S. on H-4 and then file a motion to reopen or appeal?


What you suggest is possible, if it can be done within the timeline for the MTR/Appeal. However, unless the H1B was a cap case, this may not be the best option. If it isn’t a cap case, then it may be possible to just refile the H1B with better proof and/or better arguments to “fix” whatever caused the denial. It may be best to schedule a consultation to go over options, and to decide if there are possible issues to argue in an MTR or appeal. (29.Dec.2014)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2014, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.