I have been working in valid H1B status. I have now decided to go back to school and change my status to F-1. …

… I have been admitted to my new program of study and the school issued me an I-20 form to apply for change of status. My program starts next week. Can I attend school while my application for change of status is still pending? Would I have any issues with it?


You may start attending school before USCIS issues a decision on your application for change of status from H1B to F-1. However, you may be required to leave the U.S. at an inconvenient time in the midst of your study, if your application is denied.

If you continue working on H1B while your application is pending and, if it is not approved, you should be able to continue in valid H1B status and would not have to leave the U.S. (09.Jan.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.