Can an H-4 spouse study full time for 1 year and then apply for F-1 COS?


Yes, an H-4 may study FT and later file for a COS to F-1. This should not create COS issues; H-4s can go to school FT and it will be clear from the school attendance that the F-1 applicant is a genuine student. It sometimes is helpful to change status to F-1 prior to completing the program in order to then qualify for OPT. (02.Feb.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.