I have been visiting my boyfriend in the U.S. for the past 3 months in B-2 status. We have decided to get married. Is it okay to apply for a change of status to H-4 from within the U.S., or do I need to apply abroad?


This would be best to go over in a consultation. There are issues of intent at entry that would need to be cleared. There are also questions about the contents of the visa application if it was made just before this trip. It is important to be careful to avoid the appearance of fraud / misrepresentation during the B visa application and/or at the time of admission. (23.Mar.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.