I am currently on F-1 and my spouse is on F-2. My spouse recently filed for a change of status to H1B. Can I change status while my spouse’s petition is in pending?


It is possible to change status while one’s spouse’s H1B is in process; but, it may create complications in terms of her status. It gets confusing when there are multiple requests to change / extend status. I would suggest scheduling a consult with an attorney to get some case-specific advice on how to coordinate everything. (06.Apr.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.