Can an online master’s degree be used to qualify for the H1B master’s exemption? What about a master’s degree from a part-time or evening program?


The advanced degree exemption requires a degree from an accredited, nonprofit U.S. college or university. It does not matter if the program was part-time, evening, and/or online. Just check the nonprofit / for-profit status of the school and the accreditation. There are links on MurthyDotCom to the U.S. Department of Education accreditation information for colleges / universities. (13.Apr.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.