Can I change to F-1 status after my H1B expires (6 years completed) and then apply for a new H1B position after finishing my master’s degree?


No, the six-year clock does not reset due to being in another status for a year. It is necessary to leave the U.S. for a year in order to be eligible for a new six years of H1B time. It is also necessary to file against the cap again in such cases. (13.Apr.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.